The online Master of Plant Breeding focuses on the genetic improvement of crop plants through the study and application of genetics, statistics, agronomy, plant pathology, entomology, and related sciences. The program offers fundamental skills in plant breeding, the study of advanced concepts such as genomic selection, and analysis of problems in plant breeding as they arise by global society.
This program prepares for careers such as
- Management and operation of public and private plant breeding programs
- Research on plant breeding methodologies, biotechnologies, and information technologies to improve breeding efficiency and effectiveness
- Cultivar development
Program at a Glance
- Courses cover four major areas: breeding, genetics, statistics, and crop production.
- The program culminates in a “creative component,” which is intended to be an in-depth application of the knowledge and skills acquired from the M.S. Plant Breeding curriculum.
- The creative component can take many forms, but it always includes a written report related to your area of specialization and approved by your advisory committee.
- Program requires 30 credits